There I had it, a one dollar e30, that was suited for the track. It was still rough around the edges, but had some potential.
After sifting through receipts of what I spent getting it ready I realized I was way under budget for the Grassroots $2005 challenge. So I had a new goal for the car: Put as much lipstick on that pig as I can for <$2005. That's when I realized how much lipstick it would take. Below are a couple graphic pictures of my discoveries. This thing was going to need a paint job...
Just as I started on the body work, a local e30 racer was moving to 5 lug hubs, and had 2 sets of SSR GT1's he was peddling off. My girlfriend at the time scooped up the set that his wet tires were on and hid them till Christmas. Merry xmas! Now time for the body work while macco still has the $240 spray special.
Of course it rained on the way back home from getting it sprayed.
The good news is, I found a front spoiler at the local junkyard.
I rebuilt and sprayed the calipers, and bought a cheap OEM total brake kit online.
And spent spring break refreshing the rear end. Got new bushings, cleaned it up, and painted things.
So fresh and so clean. And all for $1996
I entered the Grassroots $2005 challenge, and the judges had a hard time believing my budget. But I had the receipts and witnesses to back me up. I ended up placing 26th overall out of 78 drivers. Not too bad for a 1 man team. Some of the cars there were SICK! But I did manage to make it to the main page of their website. :D
So now, I have a clean e30 that so far meets spec e30 requirements, just needs a cage. Looks like a spec e30 may be in the works... We shall see...